Research has shown that a significant percentage of buyers abandon their shopping basket before completing the checkout process. Here are a few ideas that you can employ to reduce your abandonment rate.
- Include a progress indicator on each checkout page to let your customers know where they are in the process. Number each step and label the task clearly.
- Link back to the product so your customers can easily go back to make sure they selected the right item.
- Add pictures inside the basket. Including a thumbnail image of the product increases conversions by as much as 10 percent.
- Guide customers through the process with prominent “Next Step” or “Continue With Checkout” buttons. Avoid placing remove from cart and checkout buttons next to each other.
- Show them you’re real. People’s concerns start to flare whenever a payment is involved. Show them you’re a real company by clearly displaying full contact info during the checkout process.
- Add third-party reinforcement messages. VeriSign, Hacker Safe, Better Business Bureau and credit card logos are know to increase confidence and boost conversions.